The Regional CAC consultations on the Role of ICT in Research and Extension
|Date:||Start in 07 Dec 2016
End in 09 Dec 2016
After the consultations with Central Asia and the Caucasus Association of Agricultural Research Institutions (CACAARI), FAO Bureau for Europe and Central Asia, and the Central Asia and the Caucasus Forum for Rural Advisory Services (CAC-FRAS), the common understanding on organizing the Regional multi-stakeholders consultations has been reached. Indeed the availability, accessibility and applicability of agricultural research outputs through the innovative ways to use ICTs in the rural domain, with a primary focus on agriculture are keys to addressing the current and emerging challenges in national agri-food systems.
In the light of this understanding, the Regional CAC consultations on the Role of ICT in Research and Extension will be held in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic, from 7-9 December, 2016.
The Regional consultations will help strengthen the linkages between Agricultural research and other stakeholders of AIS, as well as define collective and pragmatic actions to enhance the role of ICT in agricultural research and extension towards more sustainable agri-food system in the CAC region. Participants will discuss the ICT solutions, as well as technology, institutional and policy options for enhancing productivity and managing risks through diversification sustainable intensification and integrated agro-eco-system approaches.
The objectives of this expert consultations will be to:
- Understand the framework required for a national ICT based Innovation Platforms;
- Presentation of model of national ICT strategy in agriculture and discussing national contexts;
- Discuss and come to common understanding how to use the of multidisciplinary and integrated approaches (ICARDA, FAO, ITU, CACAARI, CAC-FRAS) to solve complex problems in the region;
- Understand governance of ICT based Innovation Platforms and effective engagement IP stakeholders;
- Identify existing and required components;
- Collect and share case studies on ICT based IP models, success (or failure) experience in the regions with particular focus to agricultural research and extension;
- Review recent developments and discuss current challenges and possible solutions,
- Discuss current opportunities and technical steps of advocacy and fund raising and prepare a short policy communication paper/statement to be used for advocacy purposes;
- Identify synergies/possibilities of regional exchange and further cooperation.