Opportunities to Excel
The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) is a not-for-profit organization formed in 2006 to work with African governments, farmers, donors, NGOs and the private sector to reduce hunger and poverty in Africa through agricultural development targeted at resource-poor farmers. AGRA has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and an office in Accra, Ghana.
AGRA is seeking to recruit experienced and exceptional individuals to fill the following position:
REF: CO – 03/12
AGRA’s communications strategy aims to: raise awareness of food security challenges in Africa and position AGRA as the key organization to help resolve them; encourage greater commitment among African governments and the international development community to invest in African agriculture; promote greater understanding of AGRA’s goals and programs; highlight the excellent work being done by African partners and grantees; and complement program activities in the field by facilitating the dissemination of information needed to promote the
adoption of new approaches, policies and institutional linkages.
This position is internationally recruited and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, on a 3 year renewable contract and will report to the Director of Communications and Public Affairs. This position will require frequent travel to program countries across Africa, to grantee locations, and to donors and other partners.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Director of Communications and Public Affairs to develop and implement a global communications strategy aimed at explaining the AGRA mission, raising the profile of the organization and generating support for the green revolution concept in Africa;
- Producing compelling messages that highlight the challenges facing African agriculture, at the same time creating an evidence-based optimism that those challenges can be overcome;
- Developing and implementing communications plans for key national programs to disseminate key messages for maximum impact;
- Drafting speeches for AGRA’s senior management team and preparing effective public presentations;
- Managing production of key AGRA communications materials, including annual reports, newsletters and brochures;
- Supporting the communication team’s efforts to build public awareness through outreach activities and coordinating production of success stories of key AGRA projects;
- Managing the updating of the AGRA website, and ensuring the effective use of social media channels;
- Liaising with AGRA’s communications firms and consultants;
- Managing the Communications Specialist based in Accra as he/she organizes media activities in West Africa (including media round-tables, press conferences, media tours etc.);
- Assisting in the planning and implementation for various high profile events;
- Organizing appropriate networking visits with AGRA’s key partners and high profile guests visiting AGRA and AGRA projects in the region; and
- Organizing grantee communications capacity building workshops to enhance grantees’ media relations and general communications skills.
Key Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- A Masters’ degree in Communications, Journalism, Agriculture or equivalent;
- A minimum of 10 years’ successful post-qualification experience in communications, at least 3 of which should have been spent working on issues related to African agricultural development;
- Ability to develop and implement communications strategies effectively, working with a range of staff, consultants and partners; and
- Proficiency in IT, with a good understanding of web design techniques and the use of various social media channels.
The ideal candidates should be attentive to detail, have excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to work analytically, both with autonomy and with a team in diverse cultural contexts. The candidates should also have high levels of integrity and objectivity. Attractive
remuneration packages commensurate with the positions’ responsibilities will be negotiated with the successful candidates.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for these roles, please submit your application with a detailed CV, stating your current position, remuneration, e-mail and telephone contacts and quoting the relevant reference number on the application letter.
For more information on these positions, applicants can visit http://www.agra-alliance.org/
To be considered, your application must be received by 13th April, 2012 addressed to:
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
Deloitte Place, Waiyaki Way
Tel: +254 20 423 0000
Fax: +254 20 444 8966
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee, and its network of member
firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal
structure of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited and its member firms.
© 2012 Deloitte Consulting Limited