Nominations and applications for the role of Chairperson of GFAR
Nominations and applications are invited for the role of Chairperson of GFAR for a 3-year period from July 2017
GFAR is the unique multi-stakeholder Global Forum on Agricultural Research and innovation. An open, voluntary forum and a movement for change, GFAR is a global action network, made up of hundreds of partner organizations from public, private and civil society sectors, working together to shape the future of agriculture and food and their role in achieving sustainable development.
GFAR works through mobilizing collective dialogue, actions and advocacy, at national, regional and international levels, to strengthen and transform agri-food research and innovation systems and make them more responsive, equitable, and effective in achieving sustainable development outcomes.
This prestigious and influential role is open to all suitably qualified candidates.
The successful applicant must be widely recognized as a dynamic leader and advocate, actively advancing agriculture within public, private or civil sectors at national/regional/global level, with demonstrated engagement with multiple stakeholders and a high profile in generating, supporting, transforming, adapting, or using, agriculture or food knowledge, research or innovation in support of sustainable development.
The Chairperson will perform the following functions:
- Chair all meetings of the GFAR Steering Committee (SC) and of the Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development (GCARD)
- Provide overall leadership for GFAR and in particular the governance function, ensuring that the Steering Committee is adequately addressing its assigned functions
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all sub-committees of the SC, including Chairing the Executive Committee (EXCO).
- The Chairperson is concerned with both internal and external GFAR matters. In internal matters he/she will interact closely with the Steering Committee members as well as with the Executive Secretary of GFAR to monitor the development and implementation of GFAR programmes and collective actions. In the external dimension, the Chairperson is expected to represent GFAR as appropriate.
- The Chairperson is also expected to assist in developing and maintaining relations with donors and with all GFAR constituencies, in engaging potential partners, and in advocating for reform of agricultural research and knowledge use to enhance their development impact.
- Provide leadership to the SC in determining the rules under which the GFAR Secretariat is managed, as well as the process developing the medium term plan, the annual programme of work and the related budget and making sure that agreed upon actions are effectively implemented.
Nominations or Applications with Curriculum Vitae should be submitted by 5 May 2017, to the GFAR Search Committee Chair, by e-mail to: email@example.com, or by mail to GFAR Secretariat, FAO of the UN, Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00153, Rome, Italy. Recommendation letters to be attached for reference are very welcome.